Employee’s Provident Fund or EPF is a government scheme that helps an employee in several different ways. It works as a great savings tool, an emergency fund, a retirement corpus/pension plan, etc. Moreover, it also saves you taxes on the amount you contribute towards the PF account and on the interest you earn on the EPF corpus.
The EPF scheme serves more than a whopping 5 crore people. It earns a fixed rate of interest decided by the Employees Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) and so, is the same throughout India. When the employees retire, they receive the EPF amount as a lumpsum which has grown due to the accumulation of interests over the years.
In this article, we give you all the ways to check your EPF balance online along with the offline ones, steps for employee login, your UAN, and other related facets about EPF.
What is the EPF?
Employee Provident Fund is a type of scheme to grow and build your wealth while you work. It is an initiative of the Government of India. And both the employee and the employer contribution towards the employee’s EPF account from their salaries. These periodic contributions are collected to form a Savings fund for the employee who can use it in times of emergency or at an older age.
There are several services provided by an Employee Provident Fund Organization:
- PF Account Balance
- Download EPF passbook
- Register EPF grievance
- File PF transfer claim, etc.
What is UAN?
Universal Account Number or UAN is a number provided to an employee by their employer. Every employee who contributes towards the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) account is eligible to get a UAN.
You get access to several benefits via this unique number allotted to you. It is supposed to be provided to you when you join a company, otherwise, you can just check it on your salary slip. Else, take the matter with your employer or HR.
How to Login to an EPF Account?
You need to be registered on the EPFO site for being able to check your account online and receive other online EPF facilities:
Register yourself on the EPFO portal
Step 1: Visit the Member e-Sewa portal
Step 2: Select on ‘Activate UAN’, where UAN means your Universal Account Number
Step 3: Enter the following information: name, DOB, your PAN, member ID, UAN/Aadhaar, phone number, and captcha code.
Step 4: Select the ‘Get Authorization Pin’. An OTP will be sent to your phone number. Then, you’ll have to verify the OTP.
Step 5: Click on validate OTP and activate UAN. Once done with this, you will get an SMS stating the EPF login password. You can change it after logging in to your account.
Login to your EPF account on the EPFO portal
After you have registered on the EPF portal, you can follow the steps given below to successfully log in to your EPF account:
Step 1: Visit the EPF Member login website.
Step 2: Enter the activated UAN, your password, and the captcha
Step 3: Select ‘Sign in’. If you have correctly entered the account details, then you will be able to successfully log in to your account.
How to Check EPF Balance Online
When you are allowed to access your EPF account, you can plan your savings and expenses pretty well. You could also take up a loan against your EPF and decide on a ballpark amount and also check your EPF balance. You can surely check the balance in your EPF passbook when you get one, but isn’t it more convenient to be able to check the EPF balance online!
To know your EPF balance, first, you need to know your EPF number. Follow the steps given below to check your EPF balance online:
1. Get to know your EPF number by checking your salary slip
Your EPF account number is supposed to be provided by your employer and you’ll find it on your salary slip. Moreover, you will also find your monthly contribution towards your PF listed in this slip.
2. Enquire with the HR department if you don’t have a salary slip
If your company doesn’t give you a salary slip, or if you don’t have the EPF account number listed on it. Then, you need to contact someone from the HR department to ask for the EPF account number.
3. Login to the UAN portal or UMANG app using UAN to know your EPF details
You could also get to know your PF account number by using your UAN. This is a kind of unique code given to the EPF holders and it can be used to avail of several important functions. Follow the steps given below to do the same:
Step 1: Log in to the UAN portal. Here, you will be able to view all details about your PF.
Step 2: After you log in, you can have your EPF balance checked, receive statements, and initiate EPF withdrawals as well.
Yet another way to access your account is via the UMANG app. This is a newly launched app by the Electronics and IT Ministry. It merges various government services such as Aadhaar, insurance, NPS, gas booking, and also EPF. So, this app can also help you check your EPF details. You can install it from the Google Playstore.
Given below are the steps to access your EPF account using the Umang app:
Step 1: Log in to your EPF account, click on the EPF service, and then select ‘Employee Centric Services’.
Step 2: Then, hit on ‘view passbook’.
Step 3: You’ll receive an OTP now, and after you have authorized the login, you will be able to check out your EPF account details including your EPF passbook balance.
4. Via m-Sewa app of EPFO
There is yet another app available on the Google Play Store that allows you to check your EPF balance. It’s called the m-Sewa app of EPFO and you can check your PF balance here via the following steps:
Step 1: Search for the app on Google Play Store with its name.
Step 2: Once installed on your phone, open it and click on “Member”.
Step 3: Click on ‘Balance/Passbook’
Step 4: Enter your UAN and then, registered mobile number. The database will have your number verified against the UAN. If your details match, then you can check your updated EPF balance. Otherwise, an error will be displayed.
5. Via the EPFO portal
Step 1: Visit the EPFO portal. Select the ‘Our Services’ and then, select the ‘for employees’ option.
Step 2: Go to ‘Services’ and click ‘Member passbook’.
Step 3: You’ll see a login window appear where you need to type in your UAN and password once it is active. Enter the captcha code, and click on login.
Step 4: If all the details provided are correct, then you will get to access your account and the updated EPF balance. In case of a mismatch, you’ll be shown an error message.
Other Ways to Check Your EPF Balance Offline
1. Check PF Balance via Sending an SMS
For this, you must have linked or integrated your UAN with the KYC. And EPF UAN activation is necessary for this method. Otherwise, you won’t be able to know your PF account balance through an SMS to 7738299899.
Step 1: If your UAN has been integrated with the KYC details, then, proceed forward.
Step 2: Send a message that says ‘EPFOHO UAN ENG’. Now, set your preferred communication language. This is to be done by typing in the first 3 characters of the language you prefer. And if you want to receive updates in English, type in EPFOHO UAN ENG.
Here, ENG represents English and similarly, MAR is for Marathi. So, the format is EPFOHO UAN <language>. This service is provided in several languages: English, Hindi, Bengali, Punjabi, Marathi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, and Kannada.
2. Check EPF balance with a missed call
Besides having the option of sending an SMS, you can also give them a missed call from your registered phone number. Again, this facility too, just like the prior one is available through UAN integration with KYC details. Once done, you can proceed by following the steps given below:
Step 1: Give a missed from the number you have registered with the EPF to 011-22901406.
Step 2: After you have given a missed call, you will get an SMS that provides you with EPF details
3. Visit the regional EPFO office to enquire about your EPF account
If none of the above options are working, then you should visit the EPFO office as a last resort. Go to the grievance cell and fill in the EPF grievance redressal form. Fill it up and submit your KYC along with the same. Then, it will be processed and you will get all the details of your account.
How to Claim EPF Online by Linking UAN with Aadhar
As we have mentioned earlier that UAN is very important for all employees to enjoy operating their EPF accounts. And, once you have done that you can also link your UAN with your Aadhaar to have your PF account linked with Aadhaar as well. This is necessary if you want to avail yourself of the online EPF services.
You can link your UAN with your Aadhaar number in the following ways:
1. Via the Umang app
- Download the Umang app from the Play Store or the app store.
- You need to be a registered user of this app if you want to use it to link it with Aadhaar.
- Tap on the ‘EPFO’ option from the ‘All Services’ tab
- Select ‘eKYC services’ and then the Aadhaar seeding option
- Type in the UAN and click on ‘Get OTP’
- You will receive an OTP to your registered mobile number. Enter it for OTP verification
- Then, enter your Aadhaar card details
- Yet another OTP gets sent on your Aadhaar registered phone and email too.
- Verify the OTP and then your Aadhaar will get linked with the UAN. Keep in mind that the UAN and Aadhaar details need to match.
2. By Visiting the EPF portal
- Login to the unified EPF portal.
- Click on Manage and then on KYC
- Click on the ‘Aadhaar’ option and type in your Aadhaar number
- Select the ‘Save’ button. Then you will see your application under the ‘pending KYC’ tab because it will go to the employer who’ll approve it. Once done, your UAN will be linked to your Aadhaar.
Steps to Claim Your EPF Online
- Go to the EPF Member login portal site and log in with the help of your UAN
- Go to the ‘Manage’ section
- Check if your documents are verified under KYC
- Go to ‘Online Services’ and click on ‘Claim’
- Select ‘Proceed for Online Claim’
- Select ‘EPF Settlement’ or ‘EPF Partial Withdrawal’ (the type of EPF claim you want) under the ‘I want to apply for’ head.
- You can know your EPF claim status under the ‘Employee Centric Services’
EPF Rate of Interest
The current rate of interest for the EPF scheme is 8.50%. You should keep in mind that the interest rate is announced every year and is valid for the entire fiscal year. The interest that you earn will get transferred directly to your EPF account.
As mentioned already, the interest gets calculated based on the EPF interest rate pre-determined by the Government of India and the Central Board of Trustees. The entire act is administered by the CBT.
Given below are certain points that sum up the procedure of interest calculation and the way you get it in your EPF account:
- The current EPF interest rate is 8.5% which will stay valid till March of 2021.
- Your EPF interest gets calculated on a monthly basis but it gets credited to the EPF account annually on the 31st March of the
- The interest transferred is added up with the balance of the next month, i.e. April. Then, this is used again to calculate interest.
- But, if you do not contribute to your EPF account for 36 months at a stretch, then the account will become dormant or inoperative.
- You will continue earning interest on the sum collected in your inoperative account if you have not attained the age of retirement.
- But, the interest is not given on inoperative accounts of retired employees.
- Interest earned on the inoperative accounts attracts taxes as per your income tax slab rate.
- But, the employee wouldn’t receive any extra interest on the contributions made towards the EPF scheme by their employer. Still, a pension will be paid out of this amount after you attain the age of 58.
About EPF India schemes
The Employees’ Provident Fund serves over 5 crore Indians and is mainly governed with the help of three acts. Those acts are given below:
- Employees’ Provident Fund Scheme, 1952
- Employees’ Pension Scheme, 1995
- Employees’ Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme, 1976
EPF India Scheme Benefits
The EPF India scheme provides several benefits to the employees who are signed up with the same. Besides instilling a sense of financial security and peace in them, it provides the following benefits:
- Capital Appreciation: The online EPF scheme, as mentioned already, provides interest on the amount held in your EPF account. Moreover, other rewards are also provided at the time of maturity that make sure that the fund receives ample growth.
- Retirement corpus: About 8.33% of the contribution of the employer gets into the Employee Pension Scheme. This contribution also helps building a considerable amount of corpus to the employee’s EPF account.
- Emergency Fund: Your life is full of uncertainties and you never know what might come your way. So, it is important to be prepared financially. Otherwise, you might be able to gather enough funds to help yourself in such situations. Your EPF fund acts as an emergency corpus and can provide you with the required amount of funds you need for such a situation.
- Tax Benefits: As per the Section 80C of the Indian Income Tax Act, the employee’s contribution is exempted from taxes. Furthermore, the earnings you get from your EPF scheme are also free of taxes up to a maximum of INR 1.5 lakh per year.
- Premature Withdrawal: The employees enrolled in the EPF scheme can also enjoy the benefit of partial EPF withdrawal. That means whenever you have an urgent need like higher education, house construction, wedding, medical fee, etc. then you can withdraw funds from your EPF account.
EPFO customer care
If you have any doubts or grievances with the EPF service, then you can call the customer care of EPFO:
Helpdesk Number: 1800118005 (toll-free)
Bhavishya Nidhi Bhawan,
14, Bhikaji Cama Place,
New Delhi – 110066
FAQs about EPF
- Do I need to get a new UAN if I have switched my job?
Ans. No, you do not. Once, an employee gets a UAN allotted to them, it remains the throughout the entire service period. However, if you switch jobs, then your new employer will open a new EPF account for you that will be linked to the UAN of the employee.
- What happens to my EPF corpus when I switch from one company to another?
Ans. You need to transfer your EPF funds from the old EPF account to the new one. Withdrawing the amount from your account is another option. But, if you withdraw the amount before completion of 5 years of service, then the amount will be taxable. Also, you need to mention it under the income from other services section while filing your income tax reports.
- Can I withdraw my EPF if I’m unemployed?
Ans. Yes, you can withdraw 75% of the EPF after one month of being unemployed. And if you are unemployed for 2 months in a row, then the remaining 25% can be withdrawn as well.
- Is it mandatory to link Aadhaar with EPF to receive online EPF services?
Ans. UIDAI has recently announced that EPFO continues to receive Aadhaar based authentication for the EPF scheme. So, you need to have your Aadhaar linked to enjoy online EPF services, at least, for now.
- How much of my salary gets deducted to contribute towards EPF?
Ans. 12% of your salary gets deducted to go towards the contribution towards the PF. But, you are not the only one contributing towards your PF, your employer also contributes a share towards it.
- How can I check my EPF balance via a mobile app?
Ans. Follow the steps given below to check your EPF balance via an app:
- Download and install the Umang app from the Play Store. Or else you can also download it by giving a missed call to 97183917183.
- Click on the EPFO option as you open the app. Then select the ‘Employee Centric Services’ option.
- Type in your UAN along with your password. You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number
- Enter the OTP and the captcha. Then, click on ‘View Passbook’ and check your PF account balance.
- How do I claim my EPF?
Ans. You should have an active UAN along with a registered mobile number. Now, go to EPF Member’s Portal or e-SEWA portal. Then, log in using your UAN and click on ‘Online Services’. Then, choose the ‘Claim’ option from the drop-down menu to claim or withdraw your fund. You wouldn’t be able to claim the amount then and there. So, you should keep checking the EPF claim status from time to time.
- Do I need to activate my UAN before transferring my PF amount online?
Ans. Yes, you do. You need to activate your UAN before you can claim or withdraw your EPF online. You can activate your UAN by visiting the EPF member login portal.
- If I withdraw a portion of my PF corpus, then will I keep earning interest on the withdrawn amount too?
Ans. No, you wouldn’t. If you withdraw some part of your EPF corpus, then you’ll earn interest only on the amount remaining in your account.
- How does UAN get assigned to an employee?
Ans. If you join a company that has more than 20 employees, then you can enjoy EPF benefits. The EPFO will allot you a unique permanent number known as the Universal Account Number (UAN). And every employee of the company gets one. The PF accounts of the employees get linked to their UAN. Also, if you want to avail the online services via the EPF portal, then you need to link your UAN with your Aadhaar and PAN.