Universal Account Number abbreviated as UAN is the account where every employee gets their Provident Fund deposits submitted. You might already know that EPF is provided to the salaried employees for the purpose of long-term savings and tax benefits. While a lot of people know that this amount is being deposited into their PF accounts, many don’t yet know how to access the same.
So, accessing your PF account will require activating your UAN first. The concept of UAN has been functional since 2014 and is of great significance since the whole PF maintenance procedure has gone online. Keep reading to find out how to activate your UAN and other important things about it.
What is UAN?
Universal Account Number aka UAN is an identification number provided to every employee or every person who owns a Provident Fund account. It is a 12-digit number, unique for every employee. Allotted by the Employee Provident Fund Organisation or the EPFO, your UAN will remain the same for the entirety of your life. This implies that even if you change jobs, your UAN will still be the same.
Generating your UAN
You can obtain your UAN directly from your company. Most employers provided the UAN printed on the salary slip of every employee. In case the employer does not share the UAN with their employees, then you can generate it by following the given steps:
Step 1: Visit the UAN member portal
Step 2: Click on the UAN allotment link at the bottom right corner.
Step 3: Type in your Aadhaar number. Now, a one-time password will be generated and sent over to your registered phone number.
Step 4: Type in the received OTP and now, the system will fill the required fields with information from their Aadhaar database.
Step 5: Click and obtain the UAN. It can also be obtained via an SMS.
Documents Required to Generate a UAN
Individuals who have started their first job need to produce a couple of documents to have their UAN created.
- a) Identity proof: You can use any of the following as your ID proof – Driving license, Passport, Voter ID, SSLC Book, Aadhaar Card, etc.
- b) Address proof: Ration card, rental agreement, utility bill
- c) Details of your bank account: Bank account number, details of your branch, IFSC code
- d) Permanent Account Number (PAN) card: It is mandatory to have your PAN linked to your UAN.
- e) Aadhaar card copy: As your Aadhaar card remains linked to your bank account and mobile number, it is mandatory.
- f) Employee State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) card
How to Activate Your UAN?
Step 1: Visit the EPF India website.
Step 2: Click on ‘Our Services’ and select ‘For employees’ in the drop-down menu.
Step 3: Here, click on ‘Member UAN/ Online Services’. You will be redirected to UAN Member Portal.
Step 4: Go to ‘Important Links’ towards the right of the page and select ‘Activate your UAN’
Step 5: Now, you have to enter a couple of details like the following:
- a) UAN
- b) Registered mobile number
- c) Provident Fund Member ID
- d) Captcha code
Step 6: Hit on ‘Get authorization PIN’. This will send an OTP on your mobile number.
Step 7: Enter the OTP and tick the checkbox next to ‘I Agree’ after reading the disclaimer.
Step 8: Now, click on ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN’.
Finally, you will get a password on your registered phone number. This is to be used to login into your UAN account.
Benefits of UAN
- UAN will allow you to find all the PF account details in a single place along with your KYC details too.
- It also allows you and your employer to easily access your Provident Fund history.
- You can transfer and withdraw the amount in your PF anytime with your UAN.
- The UAN portal also allows you as well as your employer to manage your PF account.
- Moreover, the employer can use the UAN portal to verify and validate an employee’s PF request. They can also submit their part of the PF contribution here.
- The employee can keep a tap on the amount credited every month, the deductions made, and the interest gained.
- UAN reduces the involvement of the employer when it comes to transferring an old PF to the new PF account when an employee changes job or withdraws their PF.
- With UAN, actual fund transfer is not required.
Features of UAN
- The UAN number is independent of whichever employer you are working for. It stays the same throughout a person’s life, even if they switch jobs.
- You can check the status of your PF along with the claims, balance, and more to manage the PF account.
- UAN is a way to make sure that all PF accounts of the employees are genuine.
- The facilities of the UAN need to be executed online.
- The EPFO can track the job changes of an employee through the UAN.
- Employees receive an SMS alert every time a deposit has been made into their PF account.
Important Points Related to UAN
- UAN is unique for every employee and is independent of their employers.
- If the KYC documents of an employee are valid and verified, then the employer can ensure that the employee is authentic via their UAN.
- An employer cannot hold back or deduct an employee’s PF since the UAN facilities can be availed online.
- If the employee registers himself on the EPFO member portal, then they can check the employer’s deposit to the PF account every month.
- You can access the UAN passbook via SMS as well. Just text EPFOHO UAN ENG to the number 7738299899 from your registered mobile number with the EPFO portal.
How to Login to EPFO Website Using UAN?
In order to be able to login to EPFO using your UAN, you need to first have registered yourself with the EPFO portal. Then, you need to activate your UAN and once, you have finished the UAN activation, you can follow the steps given below to log into your EPFO account:
Step 1: Visit the EPFO member portal website: https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/.
Step 2: Type in your UAN, password, and captcha in the given fields.
Step 3: Click on the ‘Sign in’ button
If your details are correct, then you will be able to log into your EPF account
How to Check UAN Claim Status Online?
Everybody who is a member of the EPFO portal can check the UAN status online. The steps given below will guide you through the procedure of checking your UAN claim status:
Step 1: Visit the official website of UAN member portal
Step 2: Click on the ‘Know Your UAN Status’ option
Step 3: Now, you will be presented with a choice of entering any one of the following details:
- Aadhaar number
- PF Number
- Member ID
Step 4: In case you choose Member ID, then it will be followed by having to choose the State and Office for the same from a drop-down menu. Once done, you will be able to enter your Member ID.
Step 5: Then, you will be asked to enter your personal details such as your name, DOB, phone number, and the captcha code.
Step 6: Click on ‘Get Authorization PIN’ which will send a PIN to your registered mobile number.
Step 7: Type in the received PIN and hit on ‘Validate OTP and Get UAN’.
Step 8: If you have entered the correct OTP, then the page will show you a message that reads: “Your UAN number and status will be sent to your registered phone number”.
How to Link Your Aadhaar with UAN Online?
Given below are the steps that will guide you through the procedure of linking Aadhaar with UAN online:
Step 1: Sign in to your UAN account via the UAN portal or EPFO website
Step 2: Click on the ‘UAN Member e-Sea Portal’ under ‘For Employees’ towards the right side of the page.
Step 3: Enter your UAN, password, and captcha code in the respective fields. Then, click on ‘Sign in’ to initiate the UAN member login procedure.
Step 4: After you have successfully logged in, click on the ‘Manage’ option from the title bar.
Step 5: Then, click on ‘KYC’.
Step 6: Now, under the ‘Add KYC’ tab, type in the details required and then, submit these.
Step 7: You will be able to see all these details under the ‘Pending KYC’ tab. Then, the employer will take up to 15 days to approve the KYC details and once done, it will be visible under ‘Approved KYC’.
How to Reach the UAN Helpdesk?
If you are facing any issue or would like some assistance regarding any matter related to your UAN. Then, you can visit the UAN helpdesk available at the EPFO official website. Here, you will different sections dedicated to resolving different queries that you may have. The two major sections are ‘Help’ and ‘Claim’.
Under the Help section, you will find assistance related to queries related to EPFO locations, UAN, Services, Grievances, and so on. Moreover, the Claim section will help you with several claim forms available for the visitors. This help desk is available to serve you 24×7, so you can access it any time.
Q1. What details does a UAN card hold?
Ans. The UAN card provides details about your Universal Account Number along with your KYC if it gets verified by the employer. These pieces of information are provided on the front and the rear of the card holds your 5-digit member ID along with the helpdesk contact numbers of EPFO.
Q2. How much time does it take to process the UAN KYC?
Ans. It will usually take around 3 to 5 days to process and approve your documents for the KYC. However, if it has been pending for over 7 to 8 days, then you must file a complaint stating the same. Else, you can also reach out to the regional EPFO officer via the help desk or by calling 1800 118 005.
Q3. What to do if my UAN card holds the wrong information?
Ans. Your EPF card may contain misprinted or wrong details like mistakes with your name or DOB. In this case, you can have the details changed to the right ones by providing legit documents to support the changes. You can also communicate this problem to the EPFO help desk and have the changes made.
Q4. What will happen if someone gets two UANs allotted to them?
Ans. If an employee gets 2 UANs allotted to them, then obviously it is a mistake. This issue needs to be addressed to the EPFO help desk as soon as possible by the employee. The EPFO will then initiate a verification after which the old UAN will be blocked.
Q5. How can I connect old EPF accounts to my UAN?
Ans. If you have your current EPF linked with your UAN, then it is easy to link the old EPF accounts to it as well. After attempting to do so, you can also check the transfer status of these requests from the UAN portal.
UAN can give you plenty of benefits related to your PF among other things. So, if your UAN has not been activated yet, then, you must activate it at the earliest to enjoy more facilities and benefits. You can do so by visiting the EPFO portal as mentioned in this blog. Let us know if you have any further doubts related to UAN activation.