Women make up half of the population of the country. So, it is essential to make the girl child educated if we want to be a developed nation. Be it doing a job or managing an organization; many girls have excelled in different fields. It is almost impossible to do that without the right education.
However, most girls don’t get an opportunity to pursue higher education because of social and financial constraints. Currently, the governments across the country have launched several education loans schemes to help marginalized girls to get higher education and fulfill their dreams. Some of the schemes are run by the central government itself while some are by the various state governments.
Let’s have a look at the top 10 government education loan schemes for girls in India.
Below are the Top 10 central government education loan schemes for girls.
Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao
It is one of the most talked-about education loan schemes launched by the central government to educate girl children across India. Prime minister Narendra Modi led the government to realize the worsening situation of the girl child ratio in states like Haryana, Rajasthan, and a few others.
He initiated the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme on January 22, 2015. The objective of this scheme is to save girl children from gender-based bias in different parts of the country and educate them.
This scheme does not involve a cash payment right away but it is aimed at educating the citizens to change their attitude towards girl children. The primary focus is to prevent any kind of bias against girls and inclusiveness in education. The key objectives of this social welfare scheme include:
- Preventing gender-based biases against girls like selective abortions
- Ensuring education of the girl child in education
- Provide a safe atmosphere for the girls
- Ensuring participation of girls in sports, and other activities
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
Sukanya Samriddhi Account (Women Child Prosperity Account) is a revolutionary step by the central government for the welfare of girl children. This scheme is aimed at helping parents to deposit money to meet the expenses for the higher education of the children or their marriage.
You can open an account under this scheme in any post office or a central government-approved bank. The maximum age of the girl child should be ten years or less than that while opening the account.
- Long term wealth creation for higher studies or marriage of girl child
- Provides guaranteed return on the investment
CBSE Udaan Scheme
It is one of the best education loan schemes for girls and This scheme has been launched by the Central Board of Secondary Education in collaboration with the Ministry of Human Resource Development of the Union Government. It facilitates higher education for brilliant students and provides them financial and other assistance to get enrolled in the prestigious institutes of the country.
- Online classes for girl students in 11th and 12th standard on weekends
- Provide free access to online resources for the girls in the 11th and 12th standards.
- Monitoring and tracking students’ progress.
- Helpline services to clear the doubts of students
Balika Samriddhi Yojana
The Balika Samriddhi Yojana is a scholarship program initiated to provide financial assistance to young girls and their families who are below the poverty line. The scheme is aimed at helping poor families to improve their economic condition and ensure the girls’ enrolment in education.
- This scheme is accessible in urban as well as rural areas.
- A cash benefit of Rs. 500 is credited to the mother of the newly born girl child.
- The girl child is eligible for a scholarship from Rs. 300 to Rs. 1000 per year till 10th standard.
National Scheme of Incentive to Girls for Secondary Education
This scheme is introduced to provide financial assistance to the girls belonging to the backward classes of India. The Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India manages this scholarship program.
Under this scheme, a girl can receive a fixed deposit of Rs. 3000 with interest which she can withdraw once she completes class 10 and turns 18 years. To avail of the benefit of this scheme, the girl must pass class eight and be enrolled in the 9th standard. She must be under 16.
- A fixed deposit of Rs. 3000 that can be withdrawn once the beneficiary is 18 years old.
- Girls belonging to SC and ST communities from both rural and urban areas are eligible for this scheme.
State Government Run Schemes for Girl’s welfare
The governments of various states also run welfare schemes for girl children. Here are the top initiatives run by the state governments.
Karnataka Bhagyashree Scheme
This scheme is launched to encourage the birth of girl children and provide them assistance in education till the 10th standard. The program is aimed at helping families living below the poverty line. The girl child receives an annual health insurance coverage of Rs. 25000 and a scholarship of Rs. 300 to Rs. 1000 yearly till the 10th standard.
- Free health insurance coverage Rs. 25000
- Annual Scholarship of Rs. 300 to 1000 till 10th standard.
West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa
The Kanyashree program is a state govt initiative of West Bengal to improve the status and well-being of the girls from the deprived section of the society. The scheme is managed by the Department of Women Development and Social Welfare, Government of West Bengal.
Under the Kanyashree Prakalpa, a girl can receive Rs. 750 annually when she is between 13 and 18 years. She is also eligible for a one-time grant of Rs. 25000 once she turns 18 years of age.
- One-time grant of Rs. 25000 once the beneficiary turns 18 years of age.
- A scholarship of Rs. 750 annually from 13 to 18 years.
Ladli Laxmi Yojana of Madhya Pradesh
The “Ladli Laxmi Yojana” aims at improving girls’ education and health. The program also encourages the birth of a girl child and educates the people to avoid child marriage. To avail of the benefit, the girl’s parents must be residents of Madhya Pradesh and should continue education till and must not be married before 18 years. The scheme is only applicable for the one-child below the poverty line.
- A National Saving Certificate worth Rs. 6000/- for five years.
- Yearly grant of Rs. 2000/- at the time of admission to 6th standard.
- Annual grant of Rs. 4000/- when the girl gets admitted to 9th standard.
Mazi Kanya Bhagyashree Scheme from the Government of Maharashtra
The Mazi Kanya Bhagyashree Scheme is an excellent initiative run by the Government of Maharashtra. The scheme is designed at improving the condition of girl children born in families below the poverty line. Under this program, a girl child receives Rs. 5000 annually for the first 5 years from birth. Further, she receives 2500 per year till the 5th grade and Rs. 3000 per year till class 12. Once she turns 18 years, she becomes eligible to receive Rs. 1 lakh per year for higher education.
- Annual grant of Rs. 5000 till five years ago.
- Yearly grant of Rs. 2500 per year till the 5th grade and Rs. 3000 till 12th grade.
- The one-time benefit of Rs. 1 lakh per year for higher education.
The Chief Minister’s Girl Child Protection Scheme of Tamil Nadu
This scheme is launched to prevent gender inequality and protect girl children’s rights. Under this scheme, a sum of Rs. 50000 is provided as a fixed deposit in her name if she is born on or after 01/08/2011. If the family has two girl children, a sum of Rs. 25000 is deposited in each child’s name. Once they turn 18 years, they can withdraw the amount.
- Rs. 50000 fixed deposit if there is one girl child, Rs. 25000 if there are two girl children.
- An incentive of Rs.500/- per annum to girl students of Most Backward Classes.