Last Updated on 03/01/2021 by Deepak Singla
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) was launched by Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi on 25th June 2015. The PMAY scheme intends to provide affordable housing in all the urban areas by 31st March 2022, the 150th birth anniversary year Mahatma Gandhi by constructing 20 million houses across the country. The scheme has two elements, a) Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) for the urban poor, and b) Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Gramin) for the rural poor. PMAY has been converged with other schemes to make certain that each house under this scheme has a restroom, electricity connection, LPG gas connection, drinking water facilities, banking facilities, etc.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban (PMAY-U)
In the current scenario, the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban (PMAY-U) has about 4,331 towns and cities under this scheme. The scheme also includes urban development authority, special area development authority, industrial development authority, development area, notified planning, and other authorities that are liable for urban planning and regulations.
As of 1st July 2019, according to the data from the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, the progress of PMAY-U in all states and union territories are as follows:
- Sanctioned houses – 83.63 Lakh
- Completed houses – 26.08 Lakh
- Occupied houses – 23.97 Lakh
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin (PMAY-G)
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Gramin) (PMAY-G) intends to promote the accessibility and affordability of housing for all of rural India except Delhi and Chandigarh. The objective of PMAY-G is to provide financial assistance to the homeless and assisting people residing in dilapidated houses in the construction of pucca houses. Beneficiaries living in plains can receive an amount up to Rs 1.2 lakh and people residing in North-Eastern, hilly areas, Integrated Action Plan (IAP), and difficult areas can avail up to Rs 1.3 lakh.
In order to accelerate the purchases within the real estate sector, the Government of India has launched PMAY, and this cost of development is shared between the Central and State Government in the following ways:
- 64:40 for plain regions
- 90:10 for North-Eastern and hilly regions.
What is PM Awas Yojana (PMAY) – Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (PMAY-CLSS)?
PM Awas Yojana (PMAY) – Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (PMAY-CLSS) is a scheme launched by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi for customers who belong to Economically Weaker Sections (EWS), Low Income Groups (LIG), and Middle Income Groups (MIG-I and MIG-II).
The beneficiaries under this scheme are going to be eligible for interest subsidy on purchase/construction/extension/ improvement of the house.
Who can avail PM Awas Yojana (PMAY) – Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (PMAY-CLSS)?
In order to be eligible for PMAY-CLSS, the beneficiary family is required to meet the following conditions:
- The beneficiary must be a family consisting of husband, wife, and unmarried children.
- An unmarried individual earning members of any family can also apply.
- No family should not own a pucca house either in his/her name or in the name of any other member of the family, in any part of the country.
- PMAY beneficiaries must meet the income criteria defined according to various categories under the scheme.
- No beneficiary should have received central assistance under the mission, “Housing for all by 2022”.
- Beneficiaries belonging to EWS and LIG categories, woman ownership is compulsory within the property that is under consideration for all cases except where the land is already possessed before 17th June 2015 by the customer and loan availed only for self-construction of a house over the self-owned land.
- The property should have basic infrastructures like water supply, electricity supply, and drainage/sanitation facility.
Objectives of PMAY Scheme
It is said that the urban-dwelling population will rise to 14 million people by 2050. Hence, the major challenges include providing people with housing options that are cheap and other concerns like sanitation along with sustainable development. The Ministry should also ensure a sustainable and safe environment for the urban population.
Objectives of PMAY are stated below:
- One of the main objectives of these schemes is to provide affordable housing for all by the year 2022.
- PMAY Scheme intends to make it accessible to economically challenged groups, women along people belonging to minorities like Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
- The Government also wants to include widows, lower-income group members, and transgender by providing them with a sustainable and affordable housing scheme.
- Special preferences will be given to senior citizens and differently-abled for ground floor properties if required.
- Registration is compulsory for availing the benefits of this scheme which includes the strict beneficiary names to be mothers or wives.
Beneficiaries of PMAY
PMAY Scheme is offered to families comprising of husband, wife, and unmarried children. Also, the family should not own a pucca house either in his/her name or in the name of any other member of the family, in any part of India.
Prominent Features of PMAY
- Under this scheme, the subsidy interest rate is provided at 6.50% p.a on housing loans for the duration of 20 years to all the beneficiaries.
- Preferences will be given to the senior citizens and differently-abled in the allocation of ground floors.
- Eco-friendly and sustainable technologies will be used for construction.
- PMAY Scheme covers the total urban areas in the country that includes 4041 statutory towns with first priorities given to 500 Class I cities.
- The credit linked subsidy aspect of the PMAY Scheme will get implemented in India in all statutory towns from the initial phases itself.
Eligibility Criteria of PMAY
- Households with total annual income between Rs 6 lakh to Rs 16 lakh (middle-income groups I and II) are eligible to apply for PMAY Scheme. The applicant is allowed to include the income of the spouse while applying for the scheme.
- Women belonging to EWS and LIG categories may apply.
- The beneficiary can only buy a new house to enjoy the benefits of this scheme. People who already own a house won’t e eligible to apply for this scheme. No family should own a pucca house either in his/her name or in the name of any other member of the family, in any part of the country.
- People will only be allowed to buy or construct new houses. They cannot avail PMAY benefits on the already built houses.
- Scheduled tribes and castes are also eligible to apply.
- People belonging to the low-income groups, that is, LIG (annual income between Rs 3 lakh and Rs 6 lakh) and economically weaker sections, that is, EWG (annual income up to Rs 3 lakh) in the society can also apply.
- Transgenders belonging to the income groups required by the scheme are also eligible to apply for this scheme.
PMAY Subsidy Offers and Benefits
|Particulars||Lower Income Groups (LIG)||Middle Income Groups (MIG-1)||Middle Income Groups (MIG-2)||Economically Weaker Sections (EWS)|
|Annual household income||3-6 lakh||6-12 lakh||
|Up to 3 lakh|
|Interest rate Subsidy||6.50% p.a||4.00% p.a||3.00% p.a||6.50% p.a|
|The eligible amount of home loan to qualify for a subsidy (Maximum)||Rs 6 lakh||Rs 9 lakh||Rs 12 lakh||Rs 6 lakh|
|Home Loan Tenure (Maximum)||20 years||20 years||20 years||20 years|
|Amount of subsidized interest (Maximum)||Rs 2.67 lakh||Rs.2.35 lakh||Rs 2.30 lakh||Rs.2.67 lakh|
|Dwelling Unit Carpet Area (Maximum) (in sq. m.)||60||160||200||30|
|Discount Rate for NPV Calculation of Interest Subsidy||9.00%||9.00%||9.00%||9.00%|
How to apply for the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana online?
- Go to PM Awas Yojana official website http://pmaymis.gov.in/
- Under the ‘Menu’ section, click on the ‘Citizenship Assessment’ option.
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar card number.
- After you enter your Aadhaar details, you will be redirected to the application page where you are required to enter your personal details, income details, current residential address, and bank account details.
- Next, click on ‘I am aware of’ option at the end of the page and click on the ‘Save’ button.
- Once you click on the ‘Save’ button, you will get a system generated application number that you can note down for your future reference.
- Now, download and print the application form.
- Submit the form at your nearest CSC office center and financial institution/banks along with the necessary documents.
How to edit your details after submitting the application for PMAY?
- Go to the official website http://pmaymis.gov.in/
- Enter your application reference number and your Aadhaar details.
- Click on the ‘edit’ button.
- You can now edit your application details.
How to get an interest rate subsidy under the PMAY scheme?
- Apply for a home loan from any lending institution listed under PMAY.
- The lending institution will review your application and if you are eligible then your application will be sent to the Central Nodal Agency.
- After verification, your application will be approved and the Central Nodal Agency will disburse the subsidy amount to the lending institution.
- The amount credited to your account will lower your total loan amount.
- You can continue to pay the EMIs towards the balance loan amount.
How to check whether your name is in the PMAY Beneficiary List?
AS PMAY scheme caters to individuals from both the urban and rural areas in the country, the authority releases a separate PMAY beneficiary list for either category.
To check PMAY Rural list, follow the steps below:
- Without Registration Number
- Go to https://rhreporting.nic.in/netiay/Benificiary.aspx
- Click on the ‘Advanced Search’ button.
- You will be redirected to a page where you need to enter details like your name, BPL number, Sanction Order, etc.
- Next, click on the ‘Search’ button.
- Your details will appear on the screen if your name is on the beneficiary list.
- With Registration Number
- Go to https://rhreporting.nic.in/netiay/Benificiary.aspx
- Enter your Registration Number and click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- If the registered number is present in the beneficiary database, your details will be shown.
To check PMAY Urban list, follow the steps below:
- Visit https://pmaymis.gov.in/
- Click on the ‘Select Beneficiary’ button and then select ‘Search by Name’ from the drop-down menu.
- Enter at least the first three characters of your name and click on the ‘Show’ button.
- A beneficiary list that matches your query will be presented on the page along with details like the father’s name, state, etc.
Phases of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
PM Awas Yojana is to be executed three phrases.
|Stage||Phase 1||Phase 2||Phase 3|
|Cities to be covered||100||200||Remaining cities|
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana EMI Calculator
PM Awas Yojana scheme intends to simplify the process of purchasing a home for the urban poor and weaker sections of the society via EMIs at decent rates of interest. This interest rate is much lesser than commercial rates, hence offering people subsidized loans.
Follow the steps below to calculate the EMI:
- Log on to the PM Awas Yojana website https://pmaymis.gov.in/EMI_Calculator.aspx
- Fill in the following details
- a) The total loan amount in rupees
- b) The rate of interest
- c) The total loan period in months
- After submitting the above details, click on the ‘Calculate’ button. This will provide you the monthly installment or EMI payable in rupees.
PMAY Functions of Technology Sub-Mission
PMAY Technology Sub-Mission covers the following:
- Proper habitat designing and planning of the buildings.
- Planning to develop environment-friendly houses.
- Best construction operations.
- Arrangement of the most innovative technologies.
- Picking the most suitable items.
How does PMAY Scheme work through the borrower’s bank?
The bank from where the applicant takes the loan will claim the subsidy benefit from the eligible applicants from the National Housing Bank (NHB). NHB will then investigate if anyone is making multiple applications under the scheme. Once it is confirmed, the CLSS or subsidy amount will be given to the borrower’s bank. After receiving the amount, the money will be directly credited to the loan account.
PMAY Customer Care Helpline Numbers
If any customer has any query regarding the application process, interest process, or any other scheme related queries, they can contact the below toll-free helpline numbers according to the locations:
List of State Level Nodal Agencies for PMAY Urban
|State/Union Territories||Organization’s Name||Email ID||Address|
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islandsemail@example.com||Municipal Council, Port Blair – 744101|
|Andhra Pradesh||Andhra Pradesh State Housing Corporation Limitedfirstname.lastname@example.org||Andhra Pradesh State Housing Corporation Limited, Himayat Nagar, Hyderabad – 500029|
|Andhra Pradesh||Andhra Pradesh Township Infrastructure Development Corporation Limitedemail@example.com
|Flat number 502, Vijaya Lakshmi Residency, Gunadala, Vijayawada – 520004|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Government of Arunachal Pradeshfirstname.lastname@example.org
|Department of Urban Development and Housing, Mob-II, Itanagar|
|Assam||Government of Assamemail@example.com||Block A, Room no. 219, Assam Secretariat, Dispur, Guwahati – 781006|
|Bihar||Government of Biharfirstname.lastname@example.org||Urban Development and Housing Department, Vikas Bhawan, Bailey Road, New Secretariat, Patna, Bihar – 15|
|Chandigarh||Chandigarh Housing Board
|Sector 9-D, Chandigarh – 160017|
|Chattisgarh||Government of Chhattisgarhemail@example.com||Mahanadi Bhawan Mantralaya, Room No. S-1/4, Naya Raipur, Chhattisgarh|
|Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu||Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli, and Daman and Diufirstname.lastname@example.org||Secretariat, Silvassa – 396220|
|Dadra & Nagar Haveli||Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveliemail@example.com||Secretariat, Silvassa – 396220|
|Goa||Government of Goafirstname.lastname@example.org||GSUDA, 6th Floor, Shram Shakti Bhavan, Patto – Panaji|
|Gujarat||Government of Gujaratemail@example.com
|Affordable Housing Mission, New Sachivalaya, Block No. 14/7, 7th floor, Gandhinagar – 382010|
|Haryana||State Urban Development Agencyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Bays-11-14, Palika Bhawan, Sector-4, Panchkula, Haryana – 134112|
|Himachal Pradesh||Directorate of Urban Developmentemail@example.com||Palika Bhawan, Talland, Shimla|
|Jammu & Kashmir||Jammu and Kashmir Housing Board||Jkhousingboard@yahoo.com
|Jharkhand||Urban Development Departmentfirstname.lastname@example.org
|3rd floor, Room No: 326, FFP Building, Dhurwa, Ranchi, Jharkhand – 834004|
|Kerala||State Poverty Eradication Missionemail@example.com||TRIDA Building, Jn. Medical College, PO Thiruvananthapuram|
|Madhya Pradesh||Urban Administration and Development, GoMPfirstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com||Palika Bhawan, Shivaji Nagar, Bhopal – 462016|
|Maharashtra||Government of Maharashtrafirstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com||Griha Nirman Bhawan, 4th Floor, Kalanagar, Bandra (East), Mumbai – 400051|
|Manipur||Govt. of Manipurfirstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com||Town Planning Department, Government of Manipur, Directorate Complex, North AOC, Imphal-795001|
|Meghalaya||Govt of Meghalayafirstname.lastname@example.org||Raitong Building, Meghalaya Civil Secretariat, Shillong793001|
|Mizoram||Urban Development & Poverty Alleviation, Government of Mizoramemail@example.com||Directorate of Urban Development and Poverty Alleviation, Thakthing Tlang, Aizawl, Mizoram – 796005|
|Nagaland||Government of Nagalandfirstname.lastname@example.org||Municipal Affairs cell, A.G. Colony, Kohima – 797001|
|Odisha||Housing and Urban Development (H&UD) Departmentemail@example.com||1st Floor, State Secretariat, Annex – B, Bhubaneswar – 751001|
|Puducherry||Government of Puducherryfirstname.lastname@example.org||Town & Country Planning Deptt. Jawahar Nagar Boomianpet Puducherry – 605005|
|Punjab||Punjab Urban Development Authorityemail@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org||PUDA Bhawan, Sector 62, SAS Nagar, Mohali, Punjab|
|Rajasthan||Rajasthan Urban Drinking Water, Sewerage & Infrastructure Corporation Ltd (RUDSICO)||email@example.com||4-SA-24, Jawahar Nagar, Jaipur, Rajasthan|
|Sikkim||Government of Sikkimfirstname.lastname@example.org||Department of Urban Development and Housing, Government of Sikkim, NH 31A, Gangtok – 737102|
|Tamil Nadu||Government of Tamil Naduemail@example.com||Tamil Nadu Slum Clearance Board, No.5 Kamarajar Salai, Chennai, Tamil Nadu – 600005|
|Telangana||Government of Telanganafirstname.lastname@example.org||Commissioner and Director of Municipal Administration, 3rd Floor, AC Guards Public Health, Lakdikapool, Hyderabad|
|Tripura||Government of Tripuraemail@example.com||Directorate Of Urban Development, Government of Tripura, Pandit Nehru Complex, Gorakha Basti, 3rd Floor, Khadya Bhawan, Agartala – 799006|
|Uttarakhand||Directorate of Urban Developmentfirstname.lastname@example.org||State Urban Development Authority 85A, Motharawala Road, Ajabpur Kalan, Dehradun|
|Karnataka||Government of Karnatakaemail@example.com||9th Floor, Vishweshwaraiah Towers, Dr.Ambedkar Veedhi, Bangalore – 560001|
|West Bengal||State Urban Development Authorityfirstname.lastname@example.org||ILGUS Bhavan, Block HC Block, Sector 3, Bidhannagar, Kolkata – 700106|
|Uttar Pradesh||State Urban Development Agency (SUDA)||email@example.com||Navchetana Kendra, 10, Ashok Marg, Lucknow – 226002|
List of Housing Finance Companies Under PMAY Scheme
- Aadhar Housing Finance Ltd
- Aditya Birla Housing Finance Ltd
- Akme Star Housing Finance Ltd
- Aptus Value Finance Corporation Ltd
- Aptus Value Housing Finance India Ltd
- Aspire Home Finance Corporation Ltd.
- AU Housing Finance Ltd
- Can Fin Homes Ltd
- Capital First Home Finance Ltd
- Capri Global Housing Finance Private Limited
- Cent Bank Home Finance Ltd
- Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Ltd
- DHFL Vyasa Housing Finance Ltd
- DMI Housing Finance Pvt. Ltd
- Edelweiss Housing Finance Pvt. Ltd
- Equitas Housing Finance Pvt. Ltd
- Fast Track Housing Finance Company Ltd
- Fullerton Home Finance Company Ltd
- GIC Housing Finance Ltd
- GRUH Finance Ltd
- Habitat Microbuild India Housing Finance Company Pvt. Ltd
- HBN Housing Finance Ltd
- Hinduja Housing Finance Limited
- Home First Finance Company Ltd
- Housing and Development Corporation Limited
- Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd
- ICICI Home Finance Company Ltd
- IKF Housing Finance Private Limited
- India Bulls Housing Finance Ltd
- India Home Loan Ltd
- India Infoline Housing Finance Ltd
- India Shelter Finance Corporation Ltd
- Khush Housing Finance Ltd
- L&T Housing Finance Ltd
- LIC Housing Finance Ltd
- Magma Housing Finance
- Mahindra Rural Housing Finance Ltd
- Mamata Housing Finance Company Pvt. Ltd
- Manappuram Home Finance Pvt. Ltd
- Manipal Housing Finance Syndicate Ltd
- MAS Rural Housing and Mortgage Finance Ltd
- Mentor Home Loans India Ltd
- Micro Housing Finance Corporation Ltd
- Muthoot Homefin Ltd
- Muthoot Housing Finance Company Ltd
- National Trust Housing Finance Ltd
- New Habitat Housing Finance and Development Ltd
- Nivera Home Finance Ltd
- North East Region Housing Finance Ltd
- Orange City Housing Finance Ltd
- Panthoibi Housing Finance Company Ltd
- PNB Housing Finance Ltd
- RAAS Housing Finance (India) Ltd
- Reliance Home Finance Ltd
- Religare Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd
- Repco Home Finance Ltd
- Sahara Housing Finance Corporation Ltd
- Saral Home Finance Ltd
- SEWA Grih Rin Ltd
- Shriram Housing Finance Ltd
- Shubham Housing Development Finance Company Pvt. Ltd
- SRG Housing Finance Ltd
- Sundaram Home Finance Limited
- Supreme Housing Finance Limited
- Swagat Housing Finance Company Ltd
- Swarna Pragati Housing Microfinance Private Limited
- Tata Capital Housing Finance Ltd
- Ummeed Housing Finance Private Limited
- USB Housing Finance Corporation Ltd
- Vastu Housing Finance Corporation Ltd
- Viva Home Finance Ltd
- West End Housing Finance Limited
List of Public Sector Banks Under PMAY
- Allahabad Bank
- Andhra Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Bank of India
- Bank of Maharashtra
- Canara Bank
- Central Bank of India
- Corporation Bank
- Dena Bank
- IDBI Bank Ltd
- Indian Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Oriental Bank of Commerce
- Punjab & Sind Bank
- Punjab National Bank
- State Bank of India
- Syndicate Bank
- UCO Bank
- Union Bank of India
- United Bank of India
- Vijaya Bank
List of Private Sector Banks Under PMA
- Axis Bank Ltd
- Catholic Syrian Bank
- City Union Bank
- DCB Bank Ltd
- Dhanlaxmi Bank Ltd
- ICICI Bank Ltd
- J & K Bank
- Karnataka Bank Ltd
- Karur Vysya Bank Ltd
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank
- Nainital Bank Ltd
- South Indian Bank Ltd
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Ltd
- The Federal Bank Ltd
- Yes Bank
List of Regional Rural Banks Under PMAY
- Allahabad UP Gramin Bank
- Andhra Pragathi Grameena Vikas Bank
- Andhra Pradesh Grameena Bank
- Arunachal Pradesh Rural Bank
- Assam Gramin Bank
- Bangiya Gramin Vikas Bank
- Baroda Gujrat Gramin bank
- Baroda Rajasthan Kshetriya Gramin Bank
- Baroda Uttar Pradesh Gramin Bank
- Bihar Gramin Bank
- Central Madhya Pradesh Gramin Bank
- Chaitanya Godavari Grameena Bank
- Chhattisgarh Rajya Gramin Bank
- Dena Gujarat Gramin Bank
- Ellaquai Dehati bank
- Gramin Bank of Aryavart
- J& K Grameen Bank
- Jharkhand Gramin Bank
- Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank
- Kashi Gomti Samyut Bank
- Kaveri Grameena Bank
- Kerala Gramin Bank
- Langpi Dehangi Rural Bank
- Madhyanchal Gramin Bank
- Maharashtra Gramin Bank
- Meghalaya Rural Bank
- Mizoram Rural Bank
- Nagaland Rural Bank
- Narmada Jhabua Gramin
- Pandyan Grama Bank
- Pallavan Grama Bank
- Pragathi Krishna Gramin Bank
- Prathama Bank
- Puduvai Bharathiar Grama Bank
- Punjab Gramin Bank
- Purvanchal Bank
- Rajasthan Marudhara Gramin Bank
- Sarva Haryana Gramin Bank
- Saptagiri Grameena Bank
- Sarva UP Gramin Bank
- Satluj Gramin Bank
- Saurashtra Gramin Bank
- Telangana Grameena Bank
- Uttar Bihar Gramin Bank
- Uttarakhand Gramin Bank
- Uttarbanga Kshetriya Gramin Bank
- Vanachal Gramin Bank
- Vidarbha Konkan Gramin Bank